I have a good friend who is GREAT at having idea conversations. I call him up with obscure questions like "what's the difference between a wish, a hope and a prayer?" or "if a circle is the opposite of a square, what's the opposite of a triangle?" Granted some of our topics last longer than others, the triangle question didn't go far.
I have another friend that no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get the conversation past how cute the boy she's interested in is or how the girl at work irritated her. I understand that a person needs to vent every now and then but to have that be the only things there are to say is just boring.
(Now one could argue that the intelligent conversation person was a HIM and the lesser intelligent conversation person was a HER and that there is some sort of definition of the sexes there, I'm not going to make that argument. I am in fact a her and therefore disprove that IDEA.)
In no way do I think all conversations can exist on the highest level, it's just not possible. One may think that the higher level conversations would be exhausting and yet I find to them more stimulating and awakening than the people ones.
As a result I find myself reading different kinds of books (next on the night stand may be The Diagnosis by Alan Lightman), paying closer attention to current events (I'm still upset about Proposition 8) then I ever did before, becoming more interested in sports (basketball more so than any other), wanting to try new foods (although I've discovered it's a two person job, someone needs to eat what I don't finish), and finding new hobbies (I started knitting again, ok in that case it's more like re-finding).
I feel myself expanding in so many directions I can barely keep up, but it's exciting. I welcome any new person who can bring something new and/or challenging into my world. I'll try to repay the favor ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment